Friday, March 23, 2007

A Worthy Caretaker?

My sister left me a message today that ended with, "...and by the way, I put your name down at the doctor's office as an emergency contact for Lucas. You can now take him to the doctor without me and approve his care."

I am a real, adult aunt. With responsibility. Yes, this probably should have occurred to me sooner.

* * * *

On another note, it is not so easy to find a positive thing to say about my classroom today. I had a substitute in the morning so I could go to the doctor's. She left saying, "I will never again, in a million years, substitute in your room." I guess my lovelies called her all sorts of names, and the loveliest of them all made fun of her name, told her he hated her and called her stupid. I tried to tell her it wasn't her, that they treat me the same way every day. I don't think that was what she was looking for. Another teacher came in today and reamed them out in front of me for not respecting me and the other students in the building. "Don't you know that your teacher is wonderful and she works hard for you? You reward her by making her look like the worst teacher in the building!" and, "If my class were that loud, we'd be practicing walking in the hallway."

Thanks. I think she was trying to help. Of course, it was only 15 minutes later that another one of my students was getting reprimanded for pounding on the outside of another classroom wall while the students inside were taking a test.

So the positive today would be me standing my ground and only letting the students who were reported as being "cooperative" go down to play Friday afternoon dodgeball. Despite the bellyaching and scowls from the kids left behind.

Another positive: Today was the first day of fourth quarter.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home