Monday, December 08, 2008

Maps!

I can buy maps!

I guess I know that I'm a teacher... My final project for my M.A. was to write a unit for Social Studies. I wrote the unit, and then applied for a grant from the district's Educational Foundation. I did good enough work that they gave me almost $500! I am ordering books with primary source documents, DVDs, videos, and MAPS! The maps are raised relief maps, so you can feel and see the landforms of the United States. They are super cool because you can write on them with dry erase markers to trace things like the path of the Underground Railroad.

When I got home tonight from receiving the check at the school board meeting, I was daydreaming about the day the maps arrived at school. It will be a "Stop the Presses!" moment and we'll be ripping them out of the boxes to use immediately. Then I thought about my students' reactions... while they will be excited, I'm sure they will also laugh at what a dork their teacher is.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Amie said...

Those are really cool! The boys are working on maps of the U.S this year, we keep adding to them as we learn about places or landmarks. They would love the raised mountains on those.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home