Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hope

The last two years of teaching, my class has been rough. At the end of each year, it felt as though I'd been through the wringer, leading me to question my choice of career.

Tonight, there is hope. Hope that I can feel successful at my job, enjoy what I do, and put a genuine smile on my face. Hope that I can get out of bed thinking, 'I can't wait to see my students today!' Tonight was back to school night.

There are 33 kids on my list. But it's a balanced list. Even numbers of boys and girls. Even ethnic backgrounds. Even addresses- from the nicer areas as well as low-income housing.

Tonight was back to school night. I met 17 of my students' parents. Friendly, outspoken, present, engaging, caring parents. I met 17 of my students. Eight and nine year olds with big eyes and hesitant smiles, waiting to see what is in store for them.

Balance is back, in so many ways. That gives me hope.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home